One of the greatest contemporary events in the country and one of the greatest events of the Islamic revolution is the 8-year sacred defense of Iranian nation. This event is a symbol of the big powers alliance in the cold war and the regional powers of those days against the Islamic revolution. The imposed war was the most exceptional war in the period of the bipolar world; because in that period, all regional wars occurred with a support i.e. they were a small size challenge between the two superpowers. The mentioned wars were occurring in a controlled condition and in a region in the framework of two superpower?s contrast of interests and strategies. In fact, regional wars after the Second World War until the USSR subversion were all a manifestation of the two big superpowers, the USA and the USSR, conducted by their satellite countries; such as: Korea war, Vietnam War, India and Pakistan war? but the imposed war was the only one in which the two superpowers were in one side. Thus, the sacred defense was one of the most difficult tests of Iranian nation showing the average of Iranian?s resistance in a great war, apparently regional, but international.
One of the most pleasant and important turning points of the Islamic republic?s strategies during the sacred defense was the Khoramshahr conquest with the operation ?Beit-ol-Moghadas.? This operation was in fact, the last period of freedom strategy of occupied lands resulting in the country?s territorial integrity. Besides, it freed the most important war strategic region and escalated Iran?s position.
The importance, values and products of this operation are as follow:
1. The operation area was a place for which the enemy began its attack to Iran and in fact, it was considered the key of Iraq?s strategic conquest in the war
2. This operation was more extended than other sacred defense operations and freed more occupied lands
3. The most prisoners of war were captured by the Islamic republic of Iran in this operation
4. Tactically, it was one of great operations of passing the river and raid
5. By this operation, the second city of Iraq, Basra, became within the range of our artillery
6. The short period of time from the last great operation, Fath-ol-Mobin, to the first stage of this operation demonstrated that Iran had reached a high rate of offensive military power and by this rate, in such a scale, Iraqi regime?s survival was seriously questioned
7. This operation was a climax in the Army and Sepah coordination and unification in which popular Basij forces played a key role.
Warlord Hussein Salami / Imam Hussein University Instructor